Friday, May 17, 2013

Lament


Remember me sweetly
For my time is soon to come
Don't resent my anger
For I am sad deep inside
Soon I will not be able to provide
To look after you
To kiss you good night
Revel in your warmth
Or lie by your side
And stare at the night sky.
And when I am soon to be cold
Will you one more time hold my hand?
Comfort this anguished soul
Like you have done a million times.
There is a shadow I see
Just beyond the corner
I see it waiting and lurking
Coming closer to me
I fear it not
As long as you are by my side
But what shall come after
When I leave your bedside?
Recall me then in your dreams
As I shall wait on the other side
Oh you have given me joy
Alas I have only returned sighs.
With honesty and truth I plead
For one last time
Before death whisks me away
To terrible silence and loneliness.
Come and sit near me
Let me look in your eye
Cling closely to you
And love you forevermore.
Depart then, I, with sweet pain
As you hold me in your embrace
I take my last breath in Heaven
Before we stand, together again.



- Parekh, Pravesh
May 17, 2013; 08:45 AM


3 comments:

  1. The presence and the separation...as if waking up from a beautiful dream to loneliness. You have written it beautifully, With each sentence a certain warmth originates, while there are those which fill one with the peace of having someone, give a reason to remember, the others are filled with sorrow, a request to remember, despite the wrongs.
    Very touching the way you expressed the pleading to stand together, to live a few more moments of togetherness before the death takes all away.
    Aptly titled! Somehow the pain brilliantly mingles into peace, the togetherness into melancholy, the presence into separation. Awesome read!
    Keep up the great work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very touching piece...
    Beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too earnest a plea, one that almost hits the reader right from the opening lines,
    "Remember me sweetly"

    Its interesting to note the confident rhythm mingling with unsure steps throughout the poem, the conflict in emotions quite subtly evident.

    The last few words give a feeling of hope, as treacherous as the last few drops of water in a bottle that can be seen but never reaches the one who wants to drink it.

    A brilliant piece indeed! Kudos!

    ReplyDelete