Thursday, June 23, 2011

What do you do?

Recently I got mugged...sad...lost my phone and a few thousand in cash...sad indeed...

I was talking on phone and walking on the road (not a nice thing, some of you would say) but anyway...I was doing just that...and then suddenly two punks sneak up from behind and one of them catches my hand while the other whips out a knife...and I am like huh?

Throughout the time the incident happened, I kept thinking of ways to break free or else to probably kick one of them and run or else kick the knife out of his hands and so forth...point is I did nothing...and now?

It all boils down to the fact that I did nothing...I acted dumb...kept thinking but no actions...thought without action is like mind without body...(can't think of a more poetically inclined line right now)...the concept of bravery and cowardice is drilled in our brain from ages...we all think we are heroes and nothing is going to happen to us...we think that we will handle all situations and if something like the afore mentioned happened, we would do this and do that...blah blah blah...

Now, thoughts keep revisiting me about that incident and I keep thinking that I should have acted then or something...point is what do I do now? Or another question...what would you have done then if you were in my position? I guess...nothing...we all think we can and we will...but sometimes we just can't...this has got nothing to do with cowardice and nothing to do with being brave...it is just that sometimes some situations make you so that you cannot act...so? You just have to live with it, I guess...even though guilt may be there with you...

---Bye for now---

5 comments:

  1. isnt there a possibility that doing nothing was the right thing to do then...agreed..it isnt about bravery or cowardice...and as u said it is about acting right then...
    u dont know wat would have happened if you had acted..so why the guilt?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neharika,

    If one does not act, one has to live with the guilt
    If one acts then one obviously will face the guilt if something unfortunate happens
    The point is that guilt will always be there...why did I do this and not that...
    So? You just have to live with it, I guess...even though guilt may be there with you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. guilt creeps in when u know u could have done that and that doing that would have been the right thing to do but you still didnt...why should their be a guilt when a person is not aware of all the possible consequences?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guilt also creeps in when you know you could have done something but you did not do it irrespective of it being the right thing to do or not. There is guilt when you are not aware of all possible consequences. If you are aware of all possible consequences, they you know what to do and what not and you take action accordingly. In that case, there is no guilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yup.....there is a guilt when even after knowing all the possible consequences someone takes a wrong step....but it is strange that we feel guilty even when we don't know if the step we took was d right 1 or the wrong 1!

    ReplyDelete