Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Emergency Block

Previously, I have already mentioned that I am an intern at a Psychiatric Hospital (refer to the first post of the blog, if interested). Near the Psychiatry ward is also the Emergency Block of the Hospital.

Sometime ago, a few colleagues had been visiting and I was showing them around. They expressed their wish to visit the Emergency Block as well...good enough...that was my first visit inside as well...

There isn't much to see inside, to put it in a very blunt way...lots of people waiting or lying down...waiting for someone to come out and inform them about the status of the person whom they have brought here...waiting for someone to inform them weather or not they should close that open diary of the person who right now lies in a bed under intensive care...

There is a channel gate that separates the main working side from the waiting side...important though a little inhuman...important because when you are bringing someone to the Emergency block you are not in the right state of mind...and if you are not in the right state of mind you might just do something...like hitting the doctor or the assistants if you think that something is not going as you think it should go...or you might end up disturbing the patients, doctors and so forth...more importantly you would be blocking the way in and the way out...which might delay treatment, restrict the entry of another emergency patient and so forth...inhuman...well not really but for arguments sake...because you want to be close to that someone who might not be alive an hour later...

So while we stood there, breathing in the atmosphere in the Emergency Block, we also heard screams...those "agonizing and heart wrenching" types which you hear only when someone is in deep and I mean deep pain...sad I would say...my colleagues stood there wondering what was happening...I told them about what I thought...they stood, the colours fading from their faces and cheeks (as the classical writers have written, and yes indeed it is true). Some minutes later I asked them if they wanted to leave...they said yes...

"Hospitals are never a cheerful sight"...that's what I told them when we were leaving...

---

A few days later around 8:30 in the evening I was walking outside the Emergency Block, going towards the mess to have my dinner...I had my earphones plugged in (this was before the mugging incident, mentioned in my previous post) and was listening to music at full volume...I passed a person sitting on the road, probably talking on the phone when someone came practically running out from the Emergency and said something to this person...this man let out one long terrible sigh that was mixed with tears (which started streaming down his face) and his cries...I heard it irrespective of my earphones...

I have no clue what had happened but one can make a very valid guess...

Still I moved on...there was nothing that I (or anyone for the matter of fact) could do...as I was walking towards the Department of Psychiatry, crossing the deserted garden with almost no illumination, I could still hear the cries of that man echoing in my ears....I had already stopped the music as a mark of respect for that man's sorrow...it was eerie...

---

Hospitals are never a cheerful sight..I maintain it still...no matter what your arguments are...

That evening was a little scary...the walk through the deserted garden made it eerie still...one lone light dangling down with the wind shaking the bushes and the tress and the small lamp swaying in the darkness...almost like a horror movie...


...Apologies for the almost inhuman way in which I have portrayed the sorrows of someone...


--- Bye for Now ---

No comments:

Post a Comment